Commission Authority Changes 2011
S.B. 17 (Passed 2010, effective 1/10/2011)
- The Commission has the authority to award attorney’s fees for frivolous complaints or in the situation where the complaining party fails to appear at the preliminary hearing without good cause.
- Civil penalties for a second violation of the same provision of the Act were raised from $5,000 to $10,000 and from $10,000 to $25,000 for a third violation.
- The Commission was given the discretion to waive penalties or late fees in cases of hardship.
- Requires the Commission to send late fee notices via registered mail.
- Public officers who are required to file state business transaction reports, will now file the reports with the Commission (business transaction reports were formerly filed with the Secretary of State).