What is an Independent Committee?
An Independent Committee means any committee, club, association, partnership, corporation, labor union, or other group of persons, other than a campaign committee, political party, or political action committee, which receives donations during a calendar year from persons who are members or supporters of the committee and which expends such funds either for the purpose of affecting the outcome of an election for any elected office or to advocate the election or defeat of any particular candidate.
What is an independent expenditure?
An independent expenditure is an expenditure for a communication which expressly advocates the election or defeat of a clearly identified candidate but which is made independently of any candidates campaign. An expenditure is “independent” only if it meets certain conditions. It must not be made with the cooperation or consent of, or in consultation with, or at the request or suggestion of any candidate or any of his or her agents or authorized committees. An expenditure which does not meet the above criteria for independence is considered a contribution which is subject to limits.
When does an Independent Committee have to register in Georgia?
Independent Committees must file a registration in the same manner as is required of campaign committees prior to accepting or making any contributions or expenditures.
Forms and Responsibilities for Independent Committees
- File Form RO (Registration Form for a Campaign Committee Other than Candidate) to begin Independent Committee
- PIN Application for e-filing CCDR (Non Candidate Committee)
- Independent Committee must file Campaign Contribution Disclosure Reports (CCDR) according to the schedule below:
(NOTE: The entity with which the report is filed is the same as that for campaign committees if the independent committee is required to file reports with the Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission.)
Filing Schedule for Independent Committees
- Independent Committee must file reports on the first day of each of the two calendar months preceding any such election; (2 filings)
- Independent Committee must file report two weeks before the election (1 report)
- If the Independent Committee receives any contribution or makes any expenditure of more than $1,000.00 after filing the two-week report but before the election, must file report disclosing this within two business days on the Two Business Day Report (TBD) form.
- Independent Committee must file final report before December 31 of the election year
- Independent committee shall file supplemental reports on June 30 and December 31 of each year that such independent committee continues to accept contributions or make expenditures.